This course is aimed at health professionals who work with patients or families affected by cancer.
The course is made up of four modules. Before and after each module you will be asked to do a short knowledge quiz.
At the end of the course you should be able to:
- Understand how inherited changes in genes can influence cancer in some families
- Explain the purpose of a genetic test to the patient and obtain informed consent
- Discuss potential psychological and social impact of the genetic test result with the patient
- Understand a laboratory report that includes results of mutation analysis for specific genes of interest (e.g. BrCa1 or BrCa2)
- Explain the result of the test to the patient
- Discuss relevant issues related to the result with the patient, e.g. implications for biological relatives.